Announcing Our New Pre-Op Knee Education Program
Informed Pre-Op Education IS Medicine
The classic, “old-school” pre-surgical knee class is NOT very effective for improving outcomes or patient satisfaction. Many times it not only fails to answer questions that patients are most interested in, but also strengthens misperceptions regarding pain and movement, degrading patients’ post-op experience and outcome.
Where: Sports Performance Center off Avenida Encinas in Carlsbad
Dr. Ivan Vicario, DPT and Dr. Vicki Dehner, DPT
Here’s the GOOD NEWS!
Recent research indicates that a different approach to pre-operative patient education, called Pain Neuroscience Education (PNE), is much more effective and is considered BEST practice.
Immediately after PNE patients scheduled for knee replacement experience:
- Reduced fear of movement
- Decreased sensitivity to pain
- Positive shifts in their beliefs about their future knee surgery.
Other benefits of PNE post-op programs:
- Markedly improved sense of preparedness for surgery
- Improved patient satisfaction with surgery (and their orthopaedic surgeon)
- Reduced need for multiple medical follow-up visits
- Reduced need for physical therapy visits
- Drastic reduction in cost of post-operative health care costs (45%)
Orthopaedic surgeons are constantly fine-tuning their skills inside and outside of the O.R. to produce the BEST outcomes and patient satisfaction.
Today, the best physical therapists are also striving to improve their skills; augmenting their “hands-on” treatment with Pain Neuroscience Education to produce the best patient experience at the lowest cost to patients, which oftentimes also lowers workload and overhead costs for referring physicians’ offices and IPAs.