Do You Need Pregnancy Pain Relief In Carlsbad?
Pregnancy takes a toll on the body. While it’s one of the most amazing experiences a woman can go through, carrying around all the extra weight can result in physical ailments that cause discomfort. Most of these issues resolve themselves after the birth of the baby, but if you’re uncomfortable and just can’t wait that long, a physical therapy clinic in Carlsbad … Gaspar Doctors of Physical Therapy can help you find relief.
Lower Back Pain
Lower back pain is one of the biggest complaints we hear from women who are expecting. Extra weight that is not distributed evenly can easily cause some issues. Women who spend a lot of time standing or walking may have even more episodes of discomfort in the lower back muscles.
Causes of Back Pain in Pregnant Women
Pregnancy back pain typically happens where the pelvis meets your spine, at the sacroiliac joint.
There are many possible reasons why it happens. Here are some of the more likely causes:
- Weight gain. During a healthy pregnancy, women typically gain between 25 and 35 pounds. The spine has to support that weight. That can cause lower back pain. The weight of the growing baby and uterus also puts pressure on the blood vessels and nerves in the pelvis and back.
- Posture changes. Pregnancy shifts your center of gravity. As a result, you may gradually — even without noticing — begin to adjust your posture and the way you move. This may result in back pain or strain.
- Hormone changes. During pregnancy, your body makes a hormone called relaxin that allows ligaments in the pelvic area to relax and the joints to become looser in preparation for the birth process. The same hormone can cause ligaments that support the spine to loosen, leading to instability and pain.
- Muscle separation. As the uterus expands, two parallel sheets of muscles (the rectal abdominis muscles), which run from the rib cage to the pubic bone, may separate along the center seam. This separation may worsen back pain.
- Stress. Emotional stress can cause muscle tension in the back, which may be felt as back pain or back spasms. You may find that you experience an increase in back pain during stressful periods of your pregnancy.
Sciatica Nerve Pain
Another pregnancy-induced issue some women deal with in the latter half of pregnancy is sciatica. The weight of the baby presses on the sciatic nerve which can cause pain or tingling down one leg. Sometimes it causes pain in the buttocks or hips too. Not only do women find discomfort during the day with this condition, but it can make it hard to get comfortable at night, often resulting in a poor night’s sleep. When it is an ongoing condition, it should be treated so Moms can get the rest they need.
Every woman goes through different symptoms with each pregnancy, and not all of them are routine. Headaches from hormonal changes or urinary incontinence are somewhat common. Then there are those that deal with less popular symptoms, such as TMJ, balance issues, or joint pain.
Pregnancy should be an exciting, hopeful time, but sometimes the discomfort causes women to miss out on some of the joy.
If you’re in the Carlsbad area and want to find relief from pregnancy-related issues, Gaspar Doctors of Physical Therapy can provide you with services such as physical therapy or massage therapy that can help. For more information, contact us at (760) 707-5080.